Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Yeah, I Got Wu'd

So, I sort of promised myself that I'd sit out the Jason Wu for Target collaboration.  Even after browsing the look-book and finding a few eye-catchers (which I posted here), I figured I didn't need a repeat of the Missoni launch day:  frantic webpage refreshing, scribbling down store locations that purported to still have anything in stock (HA), and a whole lotta cussing.  Never again, I told myself.

As we all know, NEVER say never.

And so, while sparing you the details (and computer-swearing), I got rolled into the Wu.  I lay partial blame on the Missoni for Target community that I joined back in October (more on that group here).  But while I'd like to say they were the ones who got me to cave, I pretty much enabled myself.  Yes, I did find the cute Milu tote and scarf from my first Wu posting - actually through a friend from my MfT group.  I also found the trench in the store one day.  Cute, but as I suspected, it didn't look great on me.

Here are a few things that I passed over on opening day but ended up getting, thanks to my friends' enticing.


The gold top was cute online, looked weird (furry!) when I saw it on a hanger, then looked cute again when I pulled it into an ensemble with the pleated skirt (which was yet another "Oh, wait I like that!" piece).  Paired with an old (as in last century) Banana Republic belt and Delman pumps:



The red & blue stripe dress, with my owl belt (from this century, haha) from Anthropologie.  I think you definitely have to belt this one:



This dress drew raves from many of my MfT friends for its fit and overall look.  So I bit and got one.  Unfortunately, it was one size too big, and it's going back.  However, I'll admit it's cute.  I paired it with a red J. Crew belt here:




Now this dress looks great except for the flutter sleeves.  It transforms my shoulders from normal-looking into ones owned by a linebacker.  Oy.  But the pearl neck is unexpectedly sweet without being too grade-school-picture-day:


I felt the need to toughen it up a bit - so I threw on a black pleather jacket from Urban Outfitters.  Oh, and another J. Crew belt.  Much better!  



Wu offered a very, um, "pouffy" dress with a great lining that peeks out from under the skirt.  It comes with its own belt, so no need for the J. Crew this time around.  The exaggerated shape of the flare skirt scared me, but it actually looks quite nice on.  I'm channeling a 50's cocktail party, and I like it.  Now, where's the bourbon?





Well, shoot.  I liked the black party dress so much that I let a friend talk me into the same one in white.  This number drew the biggest thumbs up from my pals when I pitched the, "Which of these do I keep?" question:





Probably the most frustrating part of the whole Wu line was sizing.  Initially, I guess Target Style was reporting that the fit was comparable to juniors' sizes.  Then, as my friends started receiving their orders and trying things on, I heard everything from true-to-size, too small, and too large, depending on what the item was.  Obviously, since we're all built differently, that only added to the confusion.

I found I was pretty much true-to-size in the Wu.  Same for the Missoni for Target, more or less.  And, like the latter, I liked a lot more than I expected with the former.  All I had desired were a couple clothing pieces, a tote and a scarf.  Now, I've been sucked into the madness.  But it's nothing compared to the MfT.  Thank goodness Wu didn't expand his line to include things for the home.  

How about you?  Did you also get Wu'd?  If so, what did you get, and how did things fit?  Or did you stick to the cute bags and scarves?  Maybe you sat this one out, as I had planned to do.

Hey.  I just realized this is the first post where I actually tried to create outfits and make a meager effort at accessorizing.  Normally, I just post images from other sites.  Or toss in a few pics from the dressing room.  And truly, this was a fairly lazy attempt.  I nearly didn't post this entry, mostly due to the fact that the backdrop looks like my house barfed on itself.  I'm in the midst of pre-Spring cleaning, and to me cleaning = dumping everything into one pile.  Also, I'm still kind of camera shy, but I'll try and post a few of these from time to time...  I know there are many, many bloggers who do this exclusively, much better, and with a vastly bigger wardrobe and budget.  But heck, why not try it myself?  I actually enjoy the whole styling routine...  I just need to remind myself to step away from my box of neon bracelets and brooches from junior high.

Images:  my own

1 comment:

Anamarie said...

I resisted the Wu. Of the dressed you posted, I like the too-large navy dress the best (hope you find it in a smaller size), and the black one. The white one looks a little wide across the chest/shoulders. If you like the pattern on the flutter sleeve dress, maybe you could have it tailored to be sleeveless? Just a thought. If I were a better seamstress, I would offer to do it for you.