Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Missoni for Target 2.0? Let's Hope Not.

The World:  Missoni?  Who?
Me:  Um, remember?  Colore spinners, Passione bathtowels, Famiglia throws?
The World:  Blah, blah...  pink hearts, yellow moons, orange stars...  oh yeah, and purple horseshoes.  Girl, please.  Missoni for Target was, like, so 2011.

While I am still seeking out the remnants of the Missoni for Target explosion, the retailer is prepping for its next hotly anticipated collaboration with one of fashion's newest stars:  Jason Wu.  A far cry from zigzags in retina-destroying colors, Wu's much smaller line sticks to women's clothes and accessories.  Part of me is relieved at the *much* reduced number of items.  The sheer amount of Missoni for Target offerings (right around 400, I believe) still gives me minor anxiety attacks.  I have to wonder if there's something I still haven't seen?  No, seriously.

Wu's line is refreshingly edited, minimal and yet still playful.  It is also, according to Target Style's Facebook page, sized more for juniors than women.  This is already making my friends' tongues wag with worry.  And rightly so.  After seeing the entire lookbook trotted out on Racked.com, there are definitely some things to like.

Even I have come out of my Missoni cavern long enough to see a few Wu designs that beckon to me, even though I am similarly leery of sizing and fit.  Here are my picks (along with some hesitations about them):




Love the trench but epaulets make my shoulders look doofy.






Great design, but I don't do well in stiff fabrics...  not sure what this one will be like.





This top is cute...  it looks a little sheer around the tummy, though.  Hoping that's an optical illusion!





Ahhh, bags!  No worrying about fit and fabrics.  Plus, Milu the kitty looks like she's attacking something, or striking a ballet pose - both of which I like :)





And...  love the scarf.




You can check out the look book for yourself right here.

So when does the next round of cuckoo start, you ask?
Why, on Sunday, February 5th, I tell you.
Is it going to be a repeat of the Missoni disaster, you venture?
You mean a crazed mob swooping in and grabbing everything in a heartbeat?  Websites a-crashing?  Ebayers posting things mere hours later at 3x the price because the product is "Sold Out Everywhere?" I reply.
Duh!  Yes!  You roll your eyes.

Who knows?  Many people have criticized Target for its handling of the Missoni fallout.  I know friends who are still dealing with the .com bomb (specifically, items arriving from the distribution centers poorly packed and in broken shards).  Because I love Target so, I do truly hope things will run more smoothly, both in the stores and online.  A couple things in their favor (besides hindsight):  a much smaller collection that doesn't cover as much territory (no men's and home selections here) - and no breakables.

Are you excited for Jason Wu when he arrives at Target?  What from the look book caught your eye?  Starting to plan your shopping attack, or are you taking a big ol' pass on this whole event?  If it's the former, may the shopping force be with you, because you may well need it.  


Images:  all via Racked.com

1 comment:

el said...

They're releasing the same day as the Super Bowl? Interesting choice.