Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Turn On The Bright Lights...

We're only one week into January, but of course all my fashion emails are hurtling me straight into Spring with their resort collections, swimwear and other frocks I can't wear for another 4 months.  One of the trends I've been seeing lately is a return to neon.  Holy cow.  I'm having flashbacks, and it has nothing to do with the vibrancy of the hues.  It's like I've been zapped back to, ahem, junior high.  Call me nuts, but I can clearly recall my neon yellow earrings from Claire's, and those socks with neon patterns (that'd I'd pair with my mom's shoes - don't ask, my fashion skills were highly questionable in those days).  Back when my life revolved around geography, 7AM band practice and homeroom, my friends and I used to exchange said earrings and such items as Christmas gifts.  Oh, and does anyone else remember the tiny, stackable neon jelly bracelets?  I think I bought mine at Express, but my senility isn't sure about that.

A number of designers and retailers must also be reliving their youth - or at least allowing those of us of a certain generation to do so.

I just checked into Revolve this morning and saw this:



Shopbop also has plenty to jog the memory:






In fact, they have a section dedicated to all things insanely orange, yellow and blue:





And don't exclude Hervé Léger, designer of those ridiculously slinky (and pricey) dresses:






Another freshly opened email, this time from Piperlime.  Not quite as eye-vexing, but still plenty loud:



So, are you going to jump on the neon bandwagon?  Maybe, like the purse with the pink lining, you'd prefer it as an accent piece.  Or perhaps you just want to go all out and watch people don shades to keep from being blinded by your awesomeness?  Is this sending you back to study hall, or is it merely the latest trend you find mildly interesting?

I'm still on the fence, but I bet I'll end up succumbing and buying something neon by the beginning of summer.  Now I'm off to trawl eBay for some neon jelly bracelets...



Images:

#1 - Revolve
#2-6 - Shopbop
#7 - Herve Leger/BCBG
#8 - Piperlime

No comments: