Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

An anniversary of sorts

Today is 10.13.2011.

For most of you, this day is about as significant as if we played "pin the tail on the donkey," and you forked a pin onto some random day on the calendar.

For a few of you, it might mark something important, either happy or sad.

However, for a group of us, it heralds the one month anniversary of the Missoni for Target launch.  By now, the vast majority of you in the States know about this collaboration, its much hyped campaign and much maligned merchandise fallout.  Many eager shoppers flocked to stores as soon as the electric doors slid apart or pried open their laptops well before sunrise to take advantage of the online option.  Alas, crazy people converged on the stores, wiping out inventory in one fell swoop, and leaving anyone who showed up 30 minutes after opening in "too bad, so sad" mode.  Those of us who logged onto target.com fared no better.  The website had crashed due to overwhelming traffic around the same time most normal humans were still waking up.  Want my first impressions?  Waltz your mouse over here and see where it all started.

In the last few weeks, all sorts of Missoni madness has ensued.  Stories were shared (did you hear about the women who came in, dumped all the stuff in their carts, and then ran and hid in some corner to pick through what they wanted to keep?).  People vented their frustrations with Target's failure to anticipate the insane demand (I'm not sure they can really be faulted for this, but who knows).  Many shoppers' orders were canned due to the system crashing.  The poor things then turned to eBay, only to find in disgust that people were selling their wares for well over retail price.  I mean, the woman who wanted $31,000 for a pair of $35 rainboots?  Really?  I'm not sure whether to give her an "A" for having the cojones to do that, or a big, fat "F" (which could be followed by another letter, that letter being a vowel which occurs towards the end of the alphabet).

So, it looks like the $31K pair is off the market (I can only hope someone didn't buy them).  But you can still snag them for $249!  Or Buy It Now for $299!  And free shipping!  Never mind the seller bought them for $35.




And me?  How has this affected me?  Guilty as charged.  I totally drank the kool-aid.  I am a certified Missoni for Target nutcase.  Not only have I trawled eBay in hopes of the rare, reasonably-priced item, but I've also seen more of the Twin Cities over the past month than I ever have during my seven years of calling Minnesota home.  I hit 8 stores in one day.  Most of them in suburbs I'd never been to (Hello, Crystal, MN!).  I even resorted to looking up items on target.com's store locator, then calling the store to make sure they were really there.  Which, usually, they weren't.  Sigh.

Oh, martini glasses, where art thou?




And, while we're on the subject, same for you, prep bowls!


And, oohhhh, you're lookin' pretty sweet too:



Mostly, I've been on the crazy trail because, of the four orders I placed with target.com, this is what happened:

#1 actually went through and most of it arrived.  One item is still in backorder limbo.
#2 was canned.
#3 was also canned.
#4 is on backorder.  I've heard many of these met the same fate as #2 & 3.

So, very little of what I'd ordered made it to my home.  Many of these were presents for family and friends.  Thus, I've made it a mission to track down and get my lost items.  The whole situation has brought out the competitive shopper in me, for better or worse.  Damn it, I will get my Missoni for Target vases/pillows/scarf/wine glasses/votivesblahblahblahthelistgoeson...

In the midst of all this madness, I've seen one bright spot emerge.  A number of Facebook pages have been created by fellow frustrated shoppers.  Like me, they scorn the people on eBay who are asking $200 for a $40 espresso set (currently a holy grail item that yes, I too, covet).  And like me, they are hoping to find their dear zig-zag dress/colore throw/famiglia platter in someone else's purchases.  Incredibly, a virtual trading post has come into being.  You have the sweater that I want, and I've got the bath towels you search for?  Deal.  Even more than the trades, a number of women have actually dedicated their spare time to hitting Target stores all around in hopes of finding things for others on the pages.  Strangers!  Who live in other states!  Now that is goodwill.  And while it's great to see people actually getting things they want, I have found it even cooler that something that was created in reaction to a negative - has created quite a positive - a community of people (yep, guys, too!) who seem genuinely interested in helping each other achieve their Missoni missions.  It just downright gives me the warm fuzzies.  They're even posting pictures of their pets (sometimes modeling a MfT purchase).

While I've not actually done any trading on the pages, my persistence (or deranged obsession for all things bright and zig-zaggy) has paid off.  I hate to say it, but I've accrued a decent amount and found presents for nearly everyone on the list.  A few were on the original list; some are good "replacements."

This whole 3-ring circus has amused my coworkers and friends, and even my husband.  He recently posted a photo on his Facebook page of the loot (with me in the background, well camouflaged in a MfT dress).  Then he simply wrote, "Help!" as the title.  Much laughter and disbelieving remarks ensued.  You know, I contemplated sharing this picture.  But part of solving the problem is acknowledging you have one, right?  And isn't sharing one of the first steps?  Well, in all its shamefulness (or not), here it is:



Shocked?  Awed?  Only sorta?  Howzabout this picture?



There, that's more like it.  Not bad for someone who only got 5 things of the (cough) 20 ordered.  Did I overcompensate?  Bah, nonsense!  Remember, many of these are presents or items I picked up for others.  Really.  No.  Really!

To all of you who caught the Missoni for Target virus - I understand.  It takes a few weeks to shake and the only known cure is your Visa bill.  And maybe a significant other who is about to lose his or her mind.  I ask you, did you find everything your heart desired?  Or are you caught still wanting?  Did you suffer under the delusion that your shopping and coveting was over, only to get sucked into more madness?  That happened to me, too.  Did you fall prey to eBay (or geez, Craigslist, which was just as bad?).  Or, like some of my friends, are you shaking your head and saying, "I don't get it."  That is a totally legit perspective, and your credit card thanks you mucho.

At Target, life has moved on, and the chatter has changed from chevron patterns to frilly things by Josie Natori, sharp hats by Albertus Swanepoel and - dare I forget - dresses by Jason Wu.  However, you can bet a month from now (maybe even a year from now), there will still be a group of us pouncing on any Missoni for Target leftovers that we can get our paws on.

And if you're at any Twin Cities-area Target store this weekend, don't be surprised if you see me harassing (*nicely!*) the team members at Guest Service.  Hey, gotta take advantage of, "Can I help you find something?"  :)




P.S.  I give heartfelt props to all those who work at Target stores and have had to deal with all us Missoni freaks.  I am always nice to them, but I've heard some crappy stories about customers whose need to have got in the way of their need to have manners.  As much as I love this stuff too...  come on, it's just stuff.  Granted, pretty stuff in blinding hues and enough zig-zags and patterns to permanently mess with your eyesight :)



Images:

eBay snap from, well, eBay
MfT glass - target.com
MfT prep bowls - kaboodle.com
MfT swirly bowl - target.com
house hoarding - my husband
couch takeover - my own

2 comments:

Amy said...

Glad I could contribute to that pile!!! -Amy G.

Carolyn MfT said...

Fabulous post!