Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

OMG... aka, Overwhelming Missoni Gahhhhh!!!

September marks the change of many things...  the colors of the trees turning vibrant reds, yellows and oranges from a tired and somewhat washed-out green...  half my Facebook friends posting pics of their little ones off on that big adventure known as Kindergarten...  and this blog turning its own new leaf, nearly one year after its creation.

I'm going to try my best to keep the topics more frequent and less, um, long.  The recent mini-series known as our trip to NYC offered many delights that I wanted to share with you, but I know it also started to give you brain freeze about half-way through.

So, today...  today!  We're gonna try something new.  Hold on to your hats, and away we go :)





I thought it fitting that I talk about Target's much-anticipated launch of its Missoni collaboration this lovely eve, since today was its official grand opening (never mind the reports that some stores were already sporting the goods the previous night).

Unless you don't give a whit about fashion and/or live under a mossy rock wrapped in tinfoil, most of y'all know about this crazy hyped collection.  As many of you who joined in the feeding frenzy can relate, the shopping experience might be summed up with words like "madness," "sold out," "nuts" and the ever so popular "Server down? WTH?!"  Scads of friends and those on Target Style's Facebook page had all sorts of emotions to share with the retailer.  Some good ("I got a scarf and a shower curtain, yay!"), but many not so chipper ("It's 8:00AM and they're already sold out?  Seriously???" - yeah, seriously...  I took a walk through the Target store by my workplace at 8:00 AM and the pickings were severely slim.  By noon, the Missoni signage in the women's RTW section was down and other brands had been hastily restocked as filler).

As a fan of Missoni and M Missoni, I am personally beyond thrilled at this partnership.  While some of my friends have equated their colorful, zig-zaggy designs with Grandma clothing, I disagree.  Although I don't love every single piece, I found plenty to salivate over.  Allow me to share some faves, starting with basically this whole look (scarf, dress, headscarf):



Other worthy offerings:

















And yes, a whole bedset of ziggity-zaggaty color:





Thanks to hitting the hay at 10PM the night before, I managed to buy some items online at 5:30 AM - I think, since the server problems also mean I only got half my order confirmations (I did a few small orders to keep others from plucking my items out of my shopping cart - that's right, your wares aren't guaranteed til you hit the checkout button).  So, am I really getting the dress, scarf and wellies that I ordered, along with a number of Christmas gifts?

Heck if I know.  Also, heck if their customer service knows.  The insane number of insane shoppers - and the site's inability to keep pace with the furious mouse-clicking - seems to have truly confounded the poor system.  The customer rep I spoke with couldn't pull up anything on her computer.  I do know that the Target peeps worked long and hard to anticipate the heavy demand as best as they could.  Still, it resulted in some serious glitches.

How about you?  Did you join in the Missoni madness?  If so, what rate of success did you have?  What items did you snap up?  Or did you do battle with target.com and only get the "Woof!" page, which basically told you "Too bad, so sad!"

I don't remember a Target collaboration receiving this much hype, and I'm curious to hear what you think of it all.

In the meantime, I'll be waiting to see whether my orders survived the online glitch monster or got electronically consumed by him, dissipating in his digital belly, never to materialize on my doorstep.

Also, here's some video I snapped of Marina, the giant "blogging doll" which is promoting the collection - taken right here at the downtown Minneapolis store:



Enjoy the video (and the peanut gallery commentary from some people standing near me), and do share your Missoni for Target tales of victory or defeat!  I hope it was the former.  If not, let's hope for the restocking fairy, especially considering the campaign runs for a few weeks.  I do applaud Target for pairing up with Missoni - I've always enjoyed their choice of partners, even if I'm not a personal fan of some of the latter's designs.

Cheers (hopefully in a Missoni for Target martini glass),
Maggie


All images:  target.com
Video: my own

No comments: