Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

From OMG... to OMD

This weekend, my husband and I are taking an eagerly anticipated trip in the musical wayback machine.  We're going to see, yes, OMD (aka, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark).  Did I just date myself?  Eh, who cares.  OMD was one of the many bands who formed the soundtrack to my junior high and high school life.  From songs like "Joan of Arc" to "Tesla Girls" (Spike, if you're reading this, break out the Li'l Debbies ;), their biggest hit is arguably "If You Leave," which is synonymous with that classic Brat Pack flick known as Pretty In Pink.

Music is so often linked to fashion, and the 80's are an excellent example of that quirky, tacky and yet sometimes wonderful marriage.  It's hard not to think of my own crazy teenage fashion blunders while watching all of the outfits on parade in this movie (yes, I tried the bowler hat look; yes, I looked kinda silly).

While I relive my teenage years at the upcoming show and try not to blurt out, "OMG, they look so OLD!", here's a You Tube video which melds "If You Leave" with someone's nice montage of movie scenes.  Gotta love the Maxell poster in the record store images - brings back memories of making mixtapes, and recording Rock Over London off of WNUR onto my many Maxell blank tapes.

Did I say I was old?  And proud of it :)

Enjoy the clip and feel free to share your favorite 80's bands, stores (anyone remember Foxmoor?) and/or fashion "experiments."  We'll discuss soon!





Video: courtesy of You Tube, go here for the source

No comments: