Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Dressing Room Confidential

Not long ago, I stopped into my all-time favorite department store, Nordstrom.  During that trip, I wound up on their 3rd floor, home to items that I rarely ever shop for.  Stepping off the escalator, I always get that "Oooo, so that's what's up here" reaction when surveying the little kids' department, housewares and such.  The juniors' department, known as BP (Brass Plum), is also located up here above the clouds.

With the music blaring Top 40 hits that the teens love (and which Muzak has probably already filtered for lyric-appropriateness - I know this happens because I used to do this as part of a former job, really), the racks of teen clothes and accessories beckoned to me.  My brain, which dug up old images and memories of shopping at the Marshall Field's bygone juniors' department, succumbed.  I wandered like a twelve year-old into the sea of plaid, lace, denim and leggings.

After a few minutes, I managed to find a few things worth trying on.  Before I knew it, I was in the fitting room with some seriously red skinny jeans and a few tops, including a drapey white t-shirt and grey tank top that the salesgirl chose to pair with the jeans.  Here's a shot of the selections:




Here's the outfit the salesgirl assembled for me:



To quickly summarize, the clothes were a fail, but actually not a massive one.  I probably could have pulled off the white top/tank/pseudo hot pants concoction, were it not for my own hypercriticism.

The best part of the visit to my teenage years?  Just being in a teenager dressing room!  How so?  Haha, the chatter!  Yes, there's more of it.  And yes, the pitch is higher and the conversations are different. Also...  you don't normally have your aunt in the room with you, simultaneously scoffing and encouraging you as you whine about everything.... and then some.

Mostly humorous, a little bit sad (girl didn't seem super confident), but generally sympathetic, I became the involuntary eavesdropper on the girl (no idea what her age was, couldn't see her) trying on outfits and dishing back and forth with said aunt, who was in the little room with her.  Some conversation snippets (not exactly word for word, but you get the idea):

Girl:  I don't like my toes.
Aunt:  What?!  What do you mean you don't like your toes?  What's wrong with them?
Girl:  I don't know, they're ugly.
Aunt:  What?!  There's nothing wrong with your toes!  You don't like them?  Put some paint on them! Of all the things to worry about at your age...

Later... girl is trying something else on, something with a zipper.

Aunt:  Now don't zip it up!  That's not the style!...  There now, you see how nice that looks?
Girl:  Uh-huh...
Aunt:  You look lovely!

Ah, toughlove.  Well, good for the aunt!  I couldn't see her either, obviously, but imagined her to be a little like one of those moms from shows like Malcolm in the Middle.  Or, honestly, Estelle - George's mom from Seinfeld.  

I listened to their conversation while I tried on my own teen clothes and did my own teen assessment of my outfit.  And I could hear my brain having its own 2-party dialogue (image below for help):



Brain of bygone teenager:  I don't know.  It's kind of cute.
Brain of almost middle-aged me:  Well, it doesn't look like anything I don't already see on Shopbop or Revolve.  Really.  Equipment shirt, J Brand jeggings...  
BOBGT:  Yeah, except you're in the juniors' department.  Dork.
BOAMAM:  Well, it's cheaper?
BOBGT:  You're trying too hard.
BOAMAM:  Hmm, I suppose it's not really me.
BOBGT:  Duh.  Besides, everything you wore when you were 15 was oversized or Esprit.
BOAMAM:  Esprit circa 1988.  Sniff.  I miss :(
BOBGT:  It's OK, but save your cash for something you really love.
BOAMAM:  You're right.  Like that Swatch from 1987 on eBay!

So, yeah.  While I ended up buying nada from the department, I was very glad to have paid that area a visit.  Not only is it good to check out the trends beyond your comfort zone, it allowed me to remember what it was like to shop many years ago, when the experience meant something a little different.  Rather than buying things because I need them for work or a wedding, I always associate the teen department with the excitement of going back to high school, pages of Seventeen magazine layouts tucked into my memory.

And as awkward as that poor girl probably felt in the dressing room, I felt weirdly privileged to have listened to an exchange that so many of us can recall.  It brought back memories of my own gawky but giddy years, and the aunt's encouragement, however gruff, seemed much-needed.

Before I sign off, let me ask you...  Do you find yourself shopping in the juniors' department from time to time?  Were you also flooded with memories of high school?  Did you love it?  Or did it make you want to gag (with a spoon)?  Superficial or not, my shopping experiences back then provide me with images and feelings powerful enough to endure the decades.  I can't imagine I'm alone on this one ;)





No comments: