Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Ugh. Again. Really?!

Guess what today is, my lovely readers?  Why...  it's National Margarita Day!  Yessssssssssss!  My favorite cocktail in the world.  Besides a sazerac, maybe.  My friends all know I adore the tequila-based concoction, even better when there's some mezcal to be had.  Smoky deliciousness.  Worm optional (kidding).

And I'm gonna need a marg tonight, because I'm still pouting from the latest bad news on the regional retail front.

2012 was only a few days old when it was announced that Bloomingdale's planned to close their Twin Cities' location.  While I wasn't a big fan of that particular store (low ceilings, odd maze-like layout), I still bemoaned the loss of the large department chain because of its selection and symbolism.  The former in that it offered many brands that I liked; the latter as it showed this metro did, in fact, have good shopping.  I think many people assume the Midwest, with the exception of Chicago, is a retailing abyss.  And it's not.  It's so not!  But with the semi-recent closure of Marshall Field's and many fabulous, independent boutiques such as Ivy, Lava Lounge, and Josie Wert, things had been pointing in a troublesome direction.

While the suburbs still thrived (hello, Mall of America), good shopping within Minneapolis itself was starting to look like an endangered species.

"Well," I sighed, "at least we still have Neiman Marcus."

Yeah.  Not so much.  Just six months after the Bloomie's axe fell, I've now learned that pretty much the last upscale store within the city limits is meeting its demise.  You can read about it here.

I know the store is small.  And I know it has an eerie emptiness to it at most hours of the day.  Sales people drift around the floor like lonely apparitions, hoping for a customer to assist.  And yeah, I know we all like to call it "Needless Mark-up" with a sneer.  Still, it's nice to know the place exists.  A plush little oasis for people who can and will buy Jimmy Choo heels and Prada handbags.  Also, let's not forget Last Call on the top floor, where sale prices are waiting to be discovered.

It bums me out to know Minneapolis doesn't have much left for women with a penchant for higher end labels.  Oddly, men have a better selection these days, with Len Druskin Man and MartinPatrick3 in the vicinity.  Now I have to hoof it to Edina or some other suburb to get what the city shouldn't have to lose.  In fact, I was enough of a sad panda to post my dismay on Neiman's Facebook page.  They replied with the same statement released to the media:



Meh.  I know it was an economic decision, but it still, quite frankly, stinks.

Has your city also witnessed the closing of higher-end stores?  Do you care?  Maybe you're a die-hard mallrat who prefers the ability to park and get out, without having to deal with spendy parking fees, city gridlock, and other urban ickies.  Or maybe, like me, you live in the city and love being able to pop into a shop on the way home from work.  Perhaps you're both?  Live in the 'burbs but enjoy a special occasion of shopping in the city?  When I lived in Chicago, my walking commute often took me right down the Mag Mile.  Gotta love having everything from Banana Republic to, yes, Neiman Marcus as your on-the-way-home scenery.  Beats sitting in traffic on the Kennedy Expressway any day.

Returning to the soon-to-shutter store, have you scored a great deal at one of Neiman's sales?  I did earlier this year.  I got a couple pairs of shoes, including one luxury brand, at a cool 70% off.  Here they are:



Yep, I now own a pair of Manolos.  Just like Carrie Bradshaw.  Sort of.  And a great pair of blood red Tory Burch flats, which have already been worn quite a bit.  Now that I've shared, you tell me what your favorite Neiman's purchase has been, whether you prefer city or suburban shopping (or maybe online, depending on where you live), and if you're a local Twin Citian, do you also feel like retail is taking a turn for the worse lately?  I know we're getting an H&M store in Calhoun Square this fall, but it just ain't the same.

Now, off to mix up that margarita...




Images:  
#1 - screenshot from Neiman Marcus's Facebook page
#2 - my own







1 comment:

Amy Richardson said...

Love the tori ballet flats and neutrals are everywhere and you can't go wrong with Jimmy. Good shopping!!