Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Casual Challenge: Weeks 3 & 4

July isn't officially over yet, but our "month" of getting to wear denim to work wrapped up this past Friday.  To ensure there was no confusion, we got the memo confirming as much at the end of the week.  Whomp, whomp.


In a weird way, I'm sort of looking forward to resuming my typical work uniform.  Granted, I probably dressed up my jeans more than most of my coworkers did.  While many of them gladly sported t-shirts, Hawaiian shirts, and an impressive array of short-sleeved plaid button downs (yes, I work with mostly dudes), I rocked out a few ruffles and heels.  My last-minute investment in a few denim pencil skirts definitely helped lend some polish to all the jeanswear.


Below, I bring you the last half of my casual challenge...




Monday, 7/16:
Um, yeah.  I had a total case of the Mondays.  Forgot to take a pic.



Tuesday, 7/17:


Cardi - J. Crew
Top - from Anthropologie
Skirt - James Jeans
Shoes - again, the Skechers






Wednesday, 7/18:


Cotton shrug - Marc New York
Tunic - Leo & Sage
Jeans - CoH
Jewelry - Karin Jacobson Design





Thursday, 7/19:


Tunic - Kimchi & Blue
Jeans - CoH
Shoes - Cole Haan
Sunglasses - prescription from Target Optical






Friday, 7/20:


Top - Marni for H&M collaboration
Jeans - AG Jeans
Shoes - Gola
Food - courtesy of Get Sauced food truck
Backdrop - the retro-cool IDS Center (I think one of the opening scenes from the Mary Tyler Moore show was shot in here)






Monday, 7/23:


Top - Tory Burch (from a few years back)
Skirt - Halogen






Tuesday, 7/24:


Tunic - The Webster at Target collaboration
Jeans - CoH
Necklace - vintage, from the now-closed Ivy boutique
Shoes - Cole Haan





Wednesday, 7/25:


Top - another Marni for H&M creation
Skirt - Mossimo
Shoes - Chie Mahara
Backdrop - the ill-fated Neiman Marcus :(







Thursday, 7/26:


Tunic - Twelfth Street for Cynthia Vincent (another closet rediscovery!)
Jeans - CoH
Bracelet - gift from a friend
Ring - bought in Tanzania
Shoes - Diane von Furstenberg (coveted these in Vegas and called back a week later to find out they'd gone on sale - yeah!)








And finally, Friday, 7/27:

Top - Hi Panda (bought in Paris)
Jeans (not visible) - CoH

And that's the Month of Denim, AKA my Casual Challenge!




As you can see, I started off kinda schlubby and then got my act together by mid-week.  Some days, it's just a pain to make the effort, right?  Especially when the weather is like the movie Groundhog Day - highs in the mid 90's, maybe a chance of rain.  Every darn day.


Overall,  I did enjoy my self-appointed mission to move beyond my 4-5 summer outfits.  By telling myself to try super hard not to repeat an ensemble, it forced me to get creative and shop my closet, resulting in some great finds that hadn't seen the light of day in a few years.  And the jean skirts, the only purchases made specifically for this month, served as a good base (along with my rotation of jeans) for the multitude of tops and tunics.  I also like to justify the new acquisitions as pieces that'll transition well into Fall.


Speaking of which...  who else can't wait for all those September magazines to arrive in their mailbox?  Of course, Vogue promises to deliver an issue packed with all sorts of things to ooh and ahh over.  I'm sure my InStyle and Lucky will also get a bunch of earmarks.


Which magazines are you snapping up for their annual Fall fashion celebration?  Have you done a bit of "back to school" shopping yourself?  Bookmarked a stunning purse, dress, or pair of shoes?  Or is the summer heat and humidity chasing the very thought of anything wool or tweed right out of your head?










Images - my own








No comments: