Pages

Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Casual Challenge

Happy July 1st!

The beginning of the second half of the year signifies that we're officially in the midst of summer.  Much of the States is roasting in a heat wave, and that includes us.  While we are not seeing triple-digit degrees, The Weather Channel's 5-day outlook is all "92, 95, 99, 97..."

On top of that, my workplace has announced July as "Casual Month."  This means our Casual Friday dress code (jeans are allowed) applies for 4 weeks.  Yeah, I know, I should be jumping for joy, knowing that I can ditch the skirts and "regular" work uniform for a whole 19 days of cubicle life.  However, I'm sure you also know what it feels like to have denim sticking to your legs in summer humidity and heat.  It's like shoving your gams in a fashion oven.  Add some random mosquitoes that sneak their way inside the hem and up you leg, and you've got yourself a big NO THANKS.

So, I've been on the last-minute quest for denim skirts.  I can't wear A-line very well, maxis are not my style, and minis aren't an option (at least for me, I've seen other gals at my company sporting them - all I have to wonder is, what happens when you sit down??!!).  This makes the knee-length pencil skirt my wardrobe BFF.  After hitting various websites and a few stores, I've got these on order...



A simple, work-appropriate dark wash option from Nordstrom:





This white denim skirt is perfect for summer:





Mixing it up with a floral pattern:




An affordable classic:





A chambray top is another way to incorporate denim (and give me flashbacks of high school):




I have yet to hit places like The Gap, Banana Republic, and other mall staples.  One of the biggest issues I have with jeans skirts is the *fit*.  I'm not sure about you, but many of the ones I've tried on do this weird fit and flare thing, where it hugs my middle, bows in to my thighs, and then shoots off like a rocket at the knee.  Thus giving me a less than flattering silhouette, eh?  The experimenting with cut, fabric, and rise never seems to end.

Do you also wrestle with denim skirts?  Any you consider your Old Faithful?  Is there a brand you swear by?  Do tell.  Depending on how the 4 options I've posted fit, I might be on a crazy mission over the next few days to get me set for a month of blues during a red-hot summer.








Images:

#1 - nordstrom.com
#2 - nordstrom.com
#3 - shopbop.com
#4 - target.com (via kaboodle.com)
#5 - urbanoutfitters.com



No comments: