Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Paris: Cranky Pandas + Macaron-Happy Mice

Since it's taken me a month to convey a mere day in Paris, I'm gonna edit like crazy and wrap up the sights in a few more posts.  Of course, this is hard as heck to do, because I feel compelled to share with you every street that teemed with activity, the many cultural places we visited (oh that's right, the historical stuff), and the numerous photographs that seem mundane but captured something essential to our daily walkabouts.  And this excludes the separate photo essays I could've written about the metro (I love subways around the world), the graffiti, and each meal we savored.

I'm going to focus on the shopping, mais oui!  For today's post, I'll laser focus on two particular retailers.  The first blipped onto my radar thanks to my friend Amy, who sent me a weblink to the store right before we left for France.  Like me, she enjoys bears with attitude, such as Gloomy Bear.  So I was very glad that she added Hi Panda to my itinerary.  The creation of China designer Jiji, my new love cannot be found in the US.  So I kind of went nutso in here, buying t-shirts and iPhone cases and such.  Some images from our visit:














Um, is that ginormous light for sale?  Because I know the perfect place for that in my house.









Scowling bears in underwear not your speed?  Fear not.  The other "must-go" place on the day's agenda offered up multiple interpretations of "sweet."  We didn't make it to Ladurée until mid-week, but there's nothing like building anticipation, right?  I couldn't wait to immerse myself in what many people consider the temple of macaron perfection.  I'm pretty sure my husband couldn't wait for us to arrive there either, if only to hear my daily plea to get to the place cease.



A complete 180 degree spin from the previous shop, we entered a store that can only be described as girly and cute.  Girly and cute on steroids.  Steroids which were administered via all sorts of wonderful scents that wafted out from the insanely busy tearoom attached to the store, as well as from the candles that sat primly under clear glass jars.  When I asked what the different candle flavors were, the shopgirl simply lifted up a jar and instructed me to sniff into the underside of each one.  Lo and behold, I stuck my nose into aromas ranging from caramel to orange blossom to mimosa.  Every one exquisite and precious, but weirdly not annoyingly so.

I only got in a few snaps before the shopgal politely but firmly told me that no photographs were allowed:




Naturally, the mascots are super cute as well.  I'm partial to the somewhat photobombed mouse:













You may have noticed something is missing here.  Yep, the actual macaron store was, well, next door.  So out into the rain I went, to join a line of fellow sweet-toothed crazies who patiently waited to enter the gourmet part of the establishment.  As we slowly crept closer to the door, the windows both enticed and tortured us.  


























Sorry, no pictures of me in action, salivating over the pastries or selecting my little box of morsels.  I was too busy trying to figure out what I wanted, how to say it in French, and having the money at the ready.  With a long line and brisk business, I didn't need to be that person, juggling a camera, cash, and confections.

I'd like to tell you that trip sated my love of Ladurée.  HA.  When I found out there was a pop-up shop along the famed Champs-Elyseés, guess who dragged her poor husband into another line later in the evening.  A couple images from the second stop:








In the end, I bought a few things and very carefully packed them for the journey home.  Here are my ridiculous treasures, bought as much for the (again) cute packaging as for the goodies inside (which included candles, a towelette and pouch, champagne and - yup - macarons):





Who else is a Ladurée fanatic?  They've certainly got me hooked.  I did hear that a very solid rival was Pierre Hermé.  However, like the former, the latter had a line out the door, right into the tempermental rain.  Guess it means I'll just have to come back to sample the competition!


Next up...  a flurry of window shopping scenes!




Images:  my own

No comments: