Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Paris: 5/15, Part 3 - Hangry, Hangry Hippo

My good friend Ana coined a most excellent term.  Hangry.  Yes, as in hungry + angry.  It seems most dudes (including mine) don't experience the same symptoms from which I and many other ladies I know suffer.  At first, you just kinda feel hungry.  Then you get those stomach pains.  The sharp ones. And then it graduates to nausea.  Which, of course, really sucks because by this point, you feel too ill to remedy the problem!  Makes you mad enough to want to slice down everything in your path like a hippo.


My husband has learned that any kind of exercise - including long walks through new cities - can only be accomplished if eating and/or drinking is part of the activity.  It's either that or I get, well, hangry.  And we all know that letting your lady's hunger pangs prevail is about as good an idea as taking a snort of binaca up the nose when the schoolbus hits a bump...  Um.  Nevermind.


This last round of photos from our first full day in Paris (OMG, she's still on the first day, you moan) is a sliver of the food and drink we either consumed or adored from behind glass displays.  Also, some pics of the bistros, comptoirs, and so on, themselves.  Many of the interiors felt so...  French?  Tiled walls and floors, counters lined with little espresso cups, clusters of outdoor tables, or that (heh) je ne sais quoi!   As for what we snacked on?  Lots of rosé, meats, and cheeses.  Sooooo good.  And not a whiff of vintage breath spray to be smelled.




Our breakfast stop (for hot cocoa):
















Ah yes, for the English speakers.  Our lunch menu:








While my husband sipped a European beer...




...I completely pigged myself (literally) with charcuterie and wine:













As we walked off our food coma, we couldn't resist at least admiring more of it:
























Within Le Marais, you will find a number of Jewish bakeries.  It's a sight that both tempts the tummy and sobers the memory.




















In the Bastille area...






Wine break!















We joined my parents for a very tasty dinner in a cozy restaurant, the name of which I need to get from them...







After my parents headed back to the apartment, my husband wanted to take us to a bar he'd read about, which prides itself on craft cocktails in the American tradition.  Our bartender, Nico, served us up some fine beverages and friendly conversation.






















So, while there were a few times I was getting close to hangry, Paris has a downright silly number of places to avert that crisis.




And lest I forget, here's the video from the last post that I said I'd upload (once my internet was playing nice) - the perfect chill-out nightcap after this quick culinary tour:












1 comment:

Ana said...

Thanks for the shout out! Another great post!