Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

No Really, Is It March?





I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but Daylight Savings Time not only stole an hour from those of us in the Upper Midwest - it also took away most of March, April and May.  A week ago, I was still wearing my down coat, wellies and my work uniform of a sweater and wool pencil skirt.  Then - BAM - all of a sudden, the temperatures were pushing into the high 60's, then 70's, and finally topping out at 80 degrees yesterday.  The last few days have included al fresco dining, pulling out clothes I haven't seen since last September, and a few mentions of, "Ohmigosh, it's *hot* outside!"

Yesterday, by the way, was good old St. Patrick's Day.  My memories (while somewhat fuzzy) of my Irish revelry, usually included a scarf and gloves.  This year, it was shorts, a Guinness t-shirt, and sunblock.

The entire global warming debate aside, being jolted from winter straight into summer presents a completely different issue:  what the heck are we supposed to wear during this bizarre week of "wummer?"  We Northerners are embracing the unexpected heat and humidity with a very wary eye.  Everyone knows we typically get snowed upon in March.  And a few flakes in April and May aren't unusual, either.  So...  it's not like I can do a happy dance and shove all my wool, cashmere and down into a box and be done with it.  Nu-uh.  I'm wondering when the cold snap will arrive (even if "cold" means highs in the 50's) and I'll be digging through those boxes again.

Additionally, some people are getting a little too happy about the weather.  I see flip-flops, muscle tees, and other beach attire cruising around the streets lately.  One extreme to the other.  Or, you'll see said flip-flops worn with a gauzy skirt, chunky sweater and a scarf and coat.  Your top half thinks it's still late February; your bottom plunked itself into June.

The Chicago Tribune even ran a story about people's fashion confusion (and shopping sprees) during this "heat wave."  My friend, the one who relocated and is living out of a suitcase while getting settled and searching for a new home, is going out of her mind because her smart packing skills didn't anticipate 80 degrees in March.  Granted, this does give her an excuse to, um, go shopping.

I think the mild winter has been a general phenomenon for a lot of the country this season.  How have you been dressing?  Is it all about layers?  Pulled out your favorite summer outfits this week?  Seen any bizarre fashion mash-ups?

Today's forecast is 77 and sunny, and we all know snow could be on the horizon, so I'm off to soak up this lovely June, er I mean March, day.  I'll leave you with this closing image of what used to be a sizeable snowbank, now a cold mess hanging on for dear life during these relatively sultry nights.  It serves as a reminder that, while the bulk of winter is indeed over, we may well get a final visit from winter.  So I'm keeping my coat and wellies within reach.





Images:  my own



No comments: