Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Just Sayin': The Holiday Version

With Halloween over and Daylight Savings Time now enacted, everything associated with the material/consumer-driven aspect of Christmas is in full swing.  Stores are already displaying tree trimmings, and my friends on Facebook swear they're hearing holiday music seeping into the playlists.

Naturally, retailers aren't lagging behind in the race.  Neiman Marcus sent me an email this week showing me options for those fabulous holiday bashes.  That is, if you're lucky enough to even get invited to one this year.  The last snazzy Christmas party I got to attend was nearly a decade ago.

In any event, if you do find yourself in the enviable position of wondering what to wear to said party, Neiman Marcus thinks it's got the perfect dress for you:



They call it a dress.  I say, "Oops, you forgot your pants, missy."

Because...  really?  You're calling that a dress?  You're telling ladies to wear that to a party - where you might be with coworkers, relatives and who knows who else - and not wear anything underneath that? You think she's going to attract people when she's standing around, waving a martini glass in the air; just wait til that chick sits down.  Now *there's* a party for you.

Again, I'm sure some of you are saying, "Sheesh, you're old and boring.  I'd wear that in a minute."  And others will agree that "Oops, I forgot my pants" is not attractive nor something they'll be wearing to their next party - or anywhere else.  Hey, I like miniskirts and short-ish dresses.  And if they make regular appearances at clubs and ladies' night outings, fine.  But it's a joke to qualify this number as a dress, and one appropriate for the office Christmas bash at that.

What's your opinion?  And what if your friend/sister-in-law/coworker were to show up sporting this look at a holiday party?  Would you do a silent "OMGWTH" while telling her how cute she looks?  Pull her aside and warn her to take it easy on the spiked eggnog tonight?  Advise her to not sit down, even if she sprains an ankle in those Brian Atwood heels?

Well, now that I've left you with that curious predicament, I'm going to see how long I can last before caving and sneaking in another trip to Target.  'Cause, you know, I'm almost out of paper towels and, um...  um...



Photo:  Neiman Marcus

1 comment:

el said...

Step away from the Missoni, lady! :)