Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

FABulous Finds

So, you're telling me those dresses the length of a dress shirt aren't doin' it for ya, eh?  Fretting more about the perfect gift instead of the perfectly hoochified frock?  Please allow me to help replace images of the "Oops, I Forgot My Pants" girlie with something less sketchy.  Thank you, Fab.com!  I've mentioned this flash-sale site before.  Yep, it's a members-only deal, but I believe you can sign up to get on the wait-list for a spot.  Once granted the golden ticket, you can push through the virtual gates into a land of all sorts of treasures.  Though I suspect the site caters to those steeped in mid-century modern, indie rock bands, letterpress and ironic mustaches, the array of items should appeal to anyone.

This week, Fab offered a lot of tempting treats, starting with some gorgeous jewelry by Michelle Chang:





The very fantastic Mr. Fox:



This was my favorite of her collection:





Sticking with the creatures theme but wandering over to a different medium.  Go, Speed Racer!




Oh, these would be great fun to pin on my coworkers...




Into retro typewriters?  Feast your eyes on these refurbished beauties, distributed by Kasbah Mod.  The first one is adorned with artist Takashi Murakami's sunny characters (via artist Luis "Zimad" Lamboy, I guess**).  I'd buy it for the panda alone:




For the purist:



This one looks suspiciously like my old friend from high school (yeah, I also used to gab to my friends on something called a rotary phone...  which had a nice curly, cord):



Such a dreamy print, taken from the cover of a Conde Nast fashion book, the name of which I can't retrieve as the link seems to be, um, broken:




And...  for the person on your list who has everything...



Because who doesn't love Dolly?  This particular version was created by Kii Arens.


As Christmas begins to creep ever closer, we'll be inundated with every retailer throwing their own gifting ideas at us from all sides.  Like a relentless game of commercial dodgeball, you'll get pelted with images of the latest electronic gizmos, fur coats, precious ornaments, and bling, bling, BLING!  And I'm not even going to bring up all that stuff marketed for kids.  (One of the highlights at work is the annual trotting out of children's toys.  I swear, by the time I've left that meeting, I've got visions of remote-control dinosaurs, Barbie's, plastic rocket-launchers and whatnot dancing in my head for a good week - and I don't even have kids.).

Is there something on your wishlist that you're hoping Santa will leave under the tree?  An iPhone 4S, perhaps?  Or something in a blue box (aka Tiffany's)?  Or maybe just tickets to the year's hottest concert?  Do tell.  And I'll be sure to put in a good word for you with the man in the red suit.






**Nitpicker's note on this one:  while it appears that Lamboy is channeling Murakami, I wish Fab would credit the original source instead of simply mentioning Lamboy.  The actual characters are Murakami's, and props should be given accordingly.  OK, I'm done venting.

Photo credits:  all via Fab.com

No comments: