Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

What's up with your blog's name? AKA, I finally posted something!

OK, I suppose I should explain right here that this is a blog about, well, liking stuff.  In English.

Why the German-speak, you ask?  Granted, I'm brand new here in the blogosphere, but so far I would have to say the hardest thing about starting this blog is just figuring out an appropriate name for it.  I had started another blog about two weeks ago, and I was so glad to have settled on a name that I thought captured the blog's intent.  Until last Friday.  While enjoying a couple of margaritas with some coworkers, I mentioned I was about to start a fashion blog.  One of the girls asked what the name was.  Some weird and mean urge made me say, "Um, it's kind of stupid.  I need to change it..." 

So much for that great blog name.  It had to do with curating, and how I saw the blog as an experiment on how all the things I liked sort of spoke to a bigger theme of self-curating.  You know, how all the items you collect over the years represent who you are.  I still think that's true, but putting "curating" in the title just seemed silly to me the moment my coworker asked about the blog.

Really, I just like things:  a lot of it being fashion.  I spend a ridiculous amount of time doing online window (screen?) shopping.  Another chunk of time (and space) is dedicated to fashion magazines and catalogs.

Some things are new.  Some aren't so new.  Like my Outback Red shirts from, um, 1987.  And my flannel J Crew  mens' shirts from 1993.  I have a hard time parting with stuff because I either really like the design or just like the memories.  Remember the catalogs?  Well, some of them aren't hot off the press, either (I think we'll save that for another post, though).

It's not all about fashion...  I love music, art, architecture, and overall general design.  I also love food and booze.  And exploring new cities.  So there will be posts here from time to time when I want to share a restaurant, boutique, artist or even just a cool image.

Occasionally, I also want to share the designs of some friends who do fabulous work.  I believe enough in their talents to promote them.

So...  whether it's an amazing pair of heels, a new museum design or, um, more heels, it's essentially all things that I like (and sometimes a "who"). 

Literally, "es gefaellt mir" means "it pleases me" in German.  "Mir gefaellt es" is a slightly more casual way of putting it.  But, in the end, it says the same thing.

I like it.  And I'm hoping you will, too.

No comments: