Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Defying Gravity, Logic, and Probably Common Sense

I love shoes.  LOVE them.  Actually, I wasn't always a big accessories nut, but somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 years ago, I caught the fever.  And my closet hasn't been the same since.  However, I still find some serious head-scratchers online or in-store.  You know, ones where you laugh to yourself and go, "Really?!"

When I saw this very interesting pair on Shopbop's website recently, I totally snarked.  I mean, come on:



Holy Hannah, how'm I supposed to walk in those things without pitching forwards (or backwards or sideways) in this architectural conundrum?  Created by Giuseppe Zanotti, I'm not surprised by the bold design, and I am partial to the lovely dark red color.  But, even with a 2" platform, these babies stack up with a 6" heel-less heel.  Here's a true side shot, just in case the first image didn't fully convey the tottering potential:




Try walking into a room full of construction dudes wearing these (I'm guessing my fellow architect and engineer coworkers would marvel at the aesthetic and structural design...  "Do you think that cantilever is sufficient?  Is that a point load?"  Oh, good times...).

Apparently, I'm not the only person who made a face and wondered if anyone can accomplish that feat known as walking, at least in these shoes.  Neiman Marcus dutifully created a video and commentary to try and ease my suspicions.  Their take?  Yep, it can be done.  Carefully.  Read about their "test" here.  You can also peek at some other designs, all sans heel.

I'd suggest shying away from the booze if you're going to attempt pulling off this stunt.  Swollen ankles are not fashionable.  And I'm guessing there'd be some scraped knees and elbows to boot.

What do you think of this creation?  And would you wear it?








Giuseppe Zanotti shoe images - shopbop.com





1 comment:

Anamarie said...

Before I broke my ankles, foot and heel, I would have signed up. Now, 2.5", MAYBE 3" total is my max now. Dang it!