Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Japan Aid, Part 2

So, I wasn't sure whether to talk about something new and shiny and upbeat, or if I should continue to update you about retailers pitching in to help Japan.  Since I've continued to notice additional emails and Facebook postings dealing with the latter, I decided we can have one more entry dedicated to sobering events that bring out something good.  Something in which the commercial goes beyond pure commerce (even if briefly).

As I thought, more companies have used email and social media to give a shout-out to Japan and link to various charities for donation-giving over the past week.

Private sales site Gilt Groupe has placed a banner at the top of their website encouraging their members to donate.  They've also posted to Facebook:





Kate Spade took advantage of their Facebook platform to do likewise:


I'll be curious to see what their tote bag looks like and how much it drives sales.  I am a fan of those sophisticated, preppy-urbane clothes and accessories!


Taking place on March 18th, Forever 21 stated that it would donate 100% of all its sales on that day towards aid for Japan.  This news comes courtesy of The Cut, a weekly e-newsletter full of oft-amusing snippets of all things fashion.

The retail family known as the Gap, Inc. (which includes Banana Republic, Old Navy, Piperlime and Athleta as its relatives) has made sure to show they want to help out.

The authors of the blog Threadbared (which approaches fashion and its politics from the minority perspective) provide links to check out as well.  They also posted a link on their Facebook site to an article by Rachel Lamb on the Luxury Daily website, which discusses how the luxury retail industry is participating in the cause.

While you're visiting Threadbared's page, be sure to browse through their writings - interesting and thoughtful articles.

Ueber-entertainer Lady Gaga has designed a wristband to support aid efforts.  While I'm not a big fan of her music (mostly because I live under a rock when it comes to Top 40 music and don't know her tunes, not because I dislike her), she's smartly taken advantage of her fame to advocate for this cause.  Here's a link straight to her online store (which for sure marks the first time I've ever logged into her site!).  And here's a picture of said wristband:




Even United Airlines jumped into the action.

Overall, it sounds like there is some tenuous reason for hope.  Of course, the situation is still a very fragile one, and things change constantly.  But I truly wish conditions will only improve and that, over time, the rebuilding and healing can begin.

On a more positive note..  I had wanted to post a really hilarious You Tube clip after my first Japan post.  I figured after all the depressing news, we could all use a great laugh.  Then I got busy, and it slipped.  Also, although it's done in a totally silly fashion, the end does flash a nuclear bomb mushroom cloud.  Since one of the main concerns with Japan's current state deals with its nuclear reactors, I decided to play it safe and abstain from sticking those things in the same post (OK, granted, a slightly different situation).  So...  it'll be in the next one.  I promise the video is all light-hearted, geeky and fun.  You don't believe me?  Umm...

Engineers + Cats + Christmas music** = Hilarity

In closing, have you seen one of your favorite retailers extending wishes of hope and aid?  Is there one that really surprised you?  United Airlines kinda took me by surprise, but honestly, there's no reason it's odd.  I'd love to hear of any companies/designers/retailers that you admire who are offering assistance.  Or one who caught your eye unexpectedly.

Wishing you a happy, silly week (cats and engineers optional),
Maggie



** - Yes, Christmas music.  Because, hey...  where I live, we are expecting snow and temperatures in the teens this week.  Mother Nature apparently doesn't care that April is near, so why should I?  As far as I'm concerned, 'tis the season, dammit :)


Images:  Facebook snapshots - my own, Lady Gaga's wristband - Lady Gaga website

No comments: