Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day: It's More Than a Cheesy Hallmark Holiday For S.O.'s

Today is a day some people love, and others love to hate (I know, there are a few of you saying, "Meh, no lovey, no hatey, whatevs.").  While many of us like to dismiss February 14th as a day for cheesy attempts at romance and bad Hallmark cards, there are others who truly embrace it all (sans irony) - the flowers, the dinner, the whole thing.  Even engagements and weddings!  Of course, many singletons flock to those anti-Valentine Day's parties - bring on the tequila shots and trashing all things lovey-dovey, dammit!

Whatever your stance and plans for this ueber-marketed holiday, I want to wish you Happy Valentine's Day anyway!  It's not just about your spouse/significant other/bus crush, but your family, too.  And as far as I'm concerned, it includes your friends.  Yeah yeah yeah, it's about Cupid and his arrows and all that, but today should celebrate good friends as well.  I'm jus' sayin' :)

As I know many of you might do, I got myself a little Valentine's Day gift.  My partner in retail crime and I hit the Galleria this weekend for some birthday shopping (for her - no, really).  I stopped into the lovely accessories store Styled Life and lucked into finding these vintage earrings and ring:




I liked them so much I am wearing them today.

Also, they passed out candy at work, some of which is chocolate, so that also makes me happy:




I'm not sure how widespread Valentine's Day is around the world, but hey, while I'll stop short of wishing you a bathtub full of roses, caviar, unicorns and double rainbows, I do command you to at least score yourself some chocolate and a glass of bubbly.

Also, I noticed quite a few of you readers are international - are there any special customs in the UK, Hong Kong, the Ukraine, etc, to celebrate Valentine's Day?  I'd love to hear about it.  For you fellow US readers, do you celebrate?  Any special traditions you observe?  (Hey, keep it clean, my grandma could be reading this for all I know ;)

Back to eating all the chocolate I can find,
Maggie



Images:  my own

2 comments:

kare o' the mountains said...

I continue to enjoy your posts. And something about reading this one today has inspired me to get my booty back to writing a few of my own blog entries. "Coming Soon ..."

I'm usually one of the "meh" people about Valentine's Day, but your post reminded me that not only do I love chocolate ... I also need an excuse for a little Monday night bubbly. Cheers from the California coast!

maggiemarch said...

Cheers, Karen! I look forward to new posts from you!