Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sharing the Bling Love

My husband and his friends have a running joke.  Whenever one of them discovers a new band, movie or, I don’t know, iPhone app – they like to say they “invented” it.  I guess by sharing LCD Soundsystem tunes or the Angry Birds app with others, they take some pride in having found it and then passing their new treasure along to others.  I suppose we all do that.  In fact, color me guilty, because one of my favorite hobbies is making mix CDs (and back in the day, yes, mixtapes) and handing them out to whomever wants one.  Sure, it’s a rather narcissistic way of showing off your “style,” but I’d also argue it exposes people to new things they might not have checked out on their own.

While I’m going to stop short of saying I “invented” Karin Jacobson and her amazing jewelry, I definitely think she and her work need to be shown off and shared.  Because I really, really like her stuff.  And, being in the midst of prime holiday shopping, these make for some pretty awesome gifts.

Taking inspiration from science fiction and comic books, among other things, Karin translates these sources into some downright funky-fresh jewelry.  Bright and playful, yet strong and clean, her pieces feel like they’d belong in the 1920’s and the 2020’s.  She works in a variety of materials, from sterling silver to gold to palladium.  Lately, she’s branched out to experiment with plastics and leather; the results are just as fun and fab as her metalwork.

One thing I appreciate about Karin is her use of lab stones.  Synthetically produced, these little “gems” not only keep her prices more affordable than the real thing, they also appeal to those with ethical concerns about their stones.  This is especially true for her gorgeous line of wedding rings, in which she can swap out diamonds for moissanite.  Looks just as blingy, but for a fraction of the cost and more peace of mind.  Even if you’re a hard-core adherent to the real rock, these pieces sure are pretty.  And she’ll work magic with whatever you hand her, including Grandma’s gorgeous engagement ring or an estate find that needs some cleaning and a new home (i.e. setting).

I’m quite the fan, and as you can guess, I’ve been a regular customer in her studio over the years.  My love of her design is shared by the American Jewelry Design Council, which bestowed upon her the prestigious Grand Prize award in 2002 in their New Talent Competition.  No measly accomplishment, kids!

Like a beaming, proud mama, I can’t resist showing you some pictures of my babies, er, jewelry:











Here are some shots from Karin’s website which displays a wider spectrum of her designs:








You know, I’ll be honest here.  Karin’s stuff falls into that category where you’re not so sure you want to show and tell.  Why?  Because I’m totally guilty (again) of that stupid inclination to have one-of-a-kind items.  Just like in those magazines where they’ll show a celebrity look and then smugly note “no longer available” next to the purse or bracelet you’re just dying to buy. 

In fact, I am the lucky owner of a "one-off" Karin original (it's the milky-green stone on my middle finger in the third picture).  One of my dearest friends, Linds, covets it.  Sometimes she tries to distract me with a cocktail in a sly attempt to grab the ring off of my finger.  Other times she's mentioned the potential loss of an appendage (namely, mine) - all in good humor, of course.  (Um, right, Linds?)

But, aw heck.  It’s Christmas time, right?  Love, peace, and being nice – I suppose it also means sharing, huh?  (Note to Linds:  the goodwill does not extend to that ring - sorry, hon!).

OK, I share, I share...  For you fellow Twin Cities dwellers, look no further than the ginormous Northrup-King compound.  Sitting happily in the artsy Nordeast 'hood of Minneapolis, this behemoth is home to tons of art studios, Karin’s included.  Her place is open to the public for events like Art Attack and Art-A-Whirl, and you can also find a nice selection of her jewelry at the Walker Art Center's museum store, as well as smaller boutiques around town.  If you’re not living with us here in the Minnesota tundra, said website above should satisfy your cravings for her sparkly and cool creations.

Karin is a lovely person, too, which makes it that much easier to end up buying multiple pieces from her when I swore I was going to choose just one  ring.  She's a friend, as well as an immensely talented jeweler, whose wares I proudly sport with just about every outfit, from my Tretorn wellies and Citizens jeans, to my shiny, red Nanette Lepore number, to the stupid amount of J. Crew staples that get worn to work.

I'm about done with my Christmas shopping, and if you're anything like me, there's nothing like treating yourself to a little present (or three) for surviving this insane ritual. 

I know where I'll be stopping in.

3 comments:

el said...

A trip to Northrup-King is on my list this trip home. It's been far too long. Any chance you can join me? It's always more fun to try on bling with friends.

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Never enough Karin.

Linds said...

I am running out of time to steal that ring! Must step up my game...