Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Vielen Dank!

Before wading into this blog any deeper, I need to pause at the kiddie-end of the pool and give some serious thanks to a couple of ladies. 

First, to my friend Elly, who is savvy in many things computer-related and writes her own blog.  One reason I decided to join the madness was the enjoyment I had from perusing her posts.  My good friend has had the privilege of work-related travel taking her to exotic places.  While I was flying over to Denver and Boston, she was jetting off to Amman and Beijing.  Don’t get me wrong, I love the Mile High City (hello, my earlier marathon blog entry) and Beantown.  But, dang, her pictures are just a whole lot cooler than mine.

She helped me through some of my basic questions, such as “what blogging tool should I use”, “am I a total nutcase to start a blog”, and the always popular, “what if it sucks?”  She came over to my place one night and, with her steady confidence (and a couple glasses of red wine), we just decided to go for it!  So, a big thanks to Elly for helping me start the blog in the first place.

There’s another gal to thank as well, especially since fashion plays a huge part of her blog’s mission.  With a solid three years experience under her belt, Sally McGraw can be very proud of her blog, “Already Pretty,” which aims to help women conquer self-image issues through fashion and advice.  Given the barrage of media images and messages that surrounds us, this is no small feat.  I check into Sally’s blog regularly; her enthusiasm, upbeat tone, and breadth of relevant topics have won her many fans, as evidenced by the sheer number of comments she gets after her posts.  She also models ridiculously cute outfits to illustrate her points and give inspiration.  Love it.  You can see what it’s all about here.  In fact, I had to include a photo from her blog, posted today, because I may stalk her over the gorgeous skirt that she's wearing.  Covet, covet...





Sally was very kind to meet with me back in September to share her experiences with blogging.  Ever the supportive soul as I asked more questions and babbled on about my big ideas, she had me think about the larger picture, as well as how to manage details and navigate blog terms (“what’s a gadget?”).  Since her blog is quite public, it was also interesting to hear about the issues she’s dealt with, from advertising to comments to blog design and layout.

While their blogs are generally geared towards different audiences, both Elly and Sally gave me valuable advice and suggestions.  I’m sure I’ll be turning to them again when I’m wrestling with something on here.  Many of my friends have been supportive of my new endeavor, but if it weren’t for these two ladies, you probably wouldn’t be reading this. 

So…  to Elly and Sally – cheers and many thanks!

Image:  courtesy of Already Pretty

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're most welcome, my dear! Thanks for the shout-out.

el said...

The pleasure was all mine. Can't wait to see this blog grow!